This course will provide students with the basic concepts and fundamentals to reading, interpreting, locating positions and navigating topographic maps.
Maps are a fundamental part of everything that we do, and it's important that we learn to look at a map, and understand what it's telling us, understand some of the basic terms and processes that we use to figure out what's going on.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Define terms associated with map reading.
- Locate map information on map margins.
- Interpret map symbols.
- Identify and describe units of measure.
- Verify and calculate scale.
- Convert units of measure.
- Calculate and translate direction.
- Identify coordinates for specific map features.
- Locate your position on the map or vice versa.
- Locate a remote position on the map or vice versa.
- Identify and explain the process steps for navigating to a position.
- Determine the tools needed to navigate to a position.
- Navigate to a position.
Please use these Adobe documents to view or print the:
- USGS 7.5 minute Quadrangle Map of Carson City, Nevada map
- How to Print a USGS Topographic Map on a Local Plotter
- Course Study Guide
Now let's get started with the Course Introduction (18:29 minutes).
Lesson 1 - Map Reading and Interpretation
- Part 1 (39:41 minutes)
- Exercise 1 - Map Terms
- Part 2 (37:12 minutes)
- Exercise 2 - Map Symbols
- Part 3 (14:40 minutes)
- Part 4 (4:10 minutes)
- Part 5 (42:46 minutes)
- Exercise 3 - Distance, Scale Verification, and Conversion
- Part 6 (35:47 minutes)
- Part 7 (30:29 minutes)
- Exercise 4 - Direction
- Part 8 (13:49 minutes)
- Part 9 (34:21 minutes)
- Part 10 (10:27 minutes)
- Part 11 (30:04 minutes)
- Part 12 (38:46 minutes)
Lesson 2 - Determining a Location (38:59 minutes)
Lesson 3 - Navigating to a Location (48:21 minutes)
Course Conclusion (7:53 minutes)
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Tasha Huhta.